Brock’s monument is owned by Parks Canada and is located in Queenston Heights Park, which is maintained year-round by The Niagara Parks Commission. A self-guided tour of the Battle of Queenston Heights starts at the foot of the monument and includes a climb to the top for a magnificent view towards Lake Ontario in the north and Niagara Falls in the south.
Brock’s Monument History
Canada and the United States today share the longest peaceful border in the world. Almost two hundred years ago, however, control of the Niagara River section of this international border was in constant dispute. Many decisive battles of the War of 1812 occurred along both sides of the river.
On October 13, 1812, shortly before dawn, American troops crossed the Niagara River and inched their way up to a concealed path on the Niagara escarpment, to cut the slender British supply line leading to the west. Major-General Isaac Brock, Commander-in-Chief of British forces in Upper Canada was stationed at Fort George in Newark (now Niagara-on-the-Lake). On the fateful morning of the battle, Brock raced from Fort George to Queenston and in a valiant effort to retake the Heights of Queenston, he was fatally wounded while leading his troops into battle.
All seemed lost for the British until General Sheaffe, summoned from Fort George, marched with his men of the 41st Regiment along with militia and Native forces and gained the rear of the Heights. With one line charge the Americans were routed. This tactical movement ensured a victory for the British and gave the inhabitants of Upper Canada new hope and commitment to the British cause.
Brock’s present monument was rebuilt in 1853 after the original monument was bombed by a terrorist in 1840.
Location: Brock’s Monument National Historic Site is located at 14184 Niagara River Parkway, Queenston, ON.
Phone: 1 (905) 468-6621